A TSR puppet/employee** has made a post on the BBS, before we take this post as a newsworthy, let us take a closer look on what it actually says:
- “There is no change to our End User License Agreement” – says it all really..
- “We strive to provide players with tools that enable them to customize and personalize their game experience.”- Bodyshop and Homecrafter.
- “Sharing art online is a hobby” – Not a business!
- “These artists set their own terms for how they want to share their talents with the community at large. Those terms should be respected by other players.” - So if TSR follow these guidelines, they will no doubt be removing all work from artists who do not wish to share/sell it on TSR, in addition they will allow all artists the control to remove their own creations. I have a feeling TSR will adhere to this about as closely as they adhered to the EULA.
- “Whether players choose to share their original artistic creations with the community is up to them” Not up to TSR then? This should mean that Aikea, gelydh and many others will finally get their creations removed as requested.
- “original artistic creations” – keyword being ‘original’, not modified maxis meshes we already bought with the game that are resold back to us, not rehashed poser meshes, not designer labels, not Disney/Bratz/my little pony, not movie/TV franchises, not photographs of celeb faces stuck onto sims, not photo-skinned clothing, not even the mona lisa, which believe it or not was actually painted by DaVinci between 1503-1519, and not by TSR Chaz who started selling it as his own work in 2005!
- ”Original” original, as in not stolen from another artist/photographer. Jeans by Levi are designed by Levi and are not original designs owned by TSR and its ‘artists’. Textures are only original if created by the artist and not downloaded from google images or texture sites . Meshes are only original if they were created in whole by the artist not by Maxis. A face only belongs to you if it is stuck on your own neck.
If, ( and that is a big IF ) ’the sims team’ is anyone other than Steve & Co, the whole announcement post would be to say the EULA still stands because it disallows commercial use, however it is okay for artists to charge a fee/subscription to cover webcosts. TSR owners are neither artists, nor are they only charging money just to cover costs. Their advertising alone more than covers this, with plenty to spare. It also states we should respect the artists own terms when sharing their creations, something TSR has refused to do from the onset. The actual post as it stands still does not uphold any of TSRs illegal business practices.
Now let s take a look at what it did not say: - This is how the statement will would look when if EA affiliate themselves with TSR, thus sharing TSRs views and statements.
- EA legal have changed the EULA.
- TSR are now part of EA.
- EA fully endorse the sharing of paypal details, home addresses, and telephone numbers and we also encourage abusive phonecalls.
- We give TSR permission to sell work created with free community (non EA/Maxis ) made tools.
- We give TSR permission to sell work by any artist/designer/company in the world past or present without their permission.
- EA fully supports TSRs mission to be the only sims site. DDos and hacking any competition is fine by us at EA
- EA fully supports the use of trojans and trackers in TSR downloads.
- We at EA also grant permission to code these trojans to break users games ( and even damage their computers ) if they do not pay and download them from TSR.
- We at EA will allow you to pirate to sell our meshes so that you can afford stables, horses and that 2nd luxury dream home you have always wanted, and you do not even have to do any of the work yourself!
- We at EA hope you all die of ass cancer ( that comment was actually made by TSR STAFF MEMBER, BeosBoxBoy on his blog in keeping with the wholesome family image that is TSR.
- We at EA believe the sims community to be Nazis ( Again the words of TSR staff )
Until we see a statement more in keeping with what EA did not say, we have to concentrate on what they did say, which in fact was nothing newsworthy. TSR seem to think it is newsworthy though, Tom has offered extra incentive money to FA’s who post about it in their blog!
**employee = someone who receives money in exchange for doing a service.
UPDATE: Have you noticed the ’statement’ was made to coincide with TSR’s artist showcase on EA?
WARNING: Link contains graphic images of DOTs lamps.